"With our thoughts we create the world..." Turns out the Buddha was right, who knew?
Last week we were out on the East Coast for a funeral and decided to drive straight through all night to get home (I needed to hug my cat). My husband and I each took turns driving for an hour, then dozing for an hour. This meant that I had nearly four hours of complete quiet to think, both a good and a bad thing. I love the quiet, but driving through the night in hilly Pennsylvania and West Virginia is not for the faint at heart. Add to this my lack of depth perception and I expected to be hyperventilating all night.
I have been doing a lot of meditation recently, and decided to "test drive" the idea that I create my own world rather than just reacting to stimulus. The outside world would not change. I'd still be on the turnpike, but I'd change how I felt about the whole experience.
As I said before, my eyes are not the best so driving by trucks and the constant glare from all of the reflectors along the road always makes me nervous. Am I going to hit something? Are they going to hit me? Sure hope not. The change I made was to decide that the truck drivers were professionals and they were going to guide me through the twists and turns of the road. The reflectors were kind guides, pointing the way the road was going. It was saying "I'm in God" rather than pleading "God please help me."
As I thought these thoughts my shoulders would drop, my back and legs relax, and I had a feeling I can only describe as "freshness." When my mind wandered, the shoulders would creep up, the fears kick in strongly and the adrenaline would flood my body. It was remarkable. Such a good way to practice mindfulness.
So, next time you have something you fear, see if you can find a way to make it kind. Imagine the whole world is arranged just to support you. It's a great place to be.

Lovely. I like that distinction of asking for God's help from the outside vs. trusting that you live in Love (God) and that the "Universe is conspiring to shower you with blessings" (a quote from Rob Breszny's *Pronoia*). Thanks again for your thoughts Pam. ~SE oxo
ReplyDelete