Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Habit RPG Review: Free Willpower in an App

     When everyone you greet says "long time no see"  you know that you have not been keeping up with things.  That is how I feel about my blog and YouTube channel.  I have not been keeping up with my friends.
      The long drought is ending because I found it!  The never ending source of free willpower, Habit RPG.  You may wonder, what is a 48 year old reiki master and yoga teacher doing with a role playing game (RPG)? Finding the fountain of youth, of course. Instant motivation and willpower galore.
drill instructor or Habit rpg, you decide
        I have had so many life changes over the past year and a half, I was wondering if I needed to hire my own private drill instructor to whip my life into shape.  While I was doing lots of good things or necessary things, it never really added up into something that I could see, taste, touch or measure.  In the quest to find new purpose, I stumbled upon lifehacker Patrick Allen's How We Work post    I love these posts. They are a great way to expose myself to the many different ways that people get work done.
           When Patrick said "I really dig HabitRPG for tracking how awesome (or lame) I am"   I knew I had to give it a try.

         I started with a few habits, a few dailies, a few to-dos.  You know, the things you should do, but don't.  Floss, clean the cat box, exercise, meditate.  Then it expanded.  Monday, water the plants. Tuesday, vacuum high traffic areas in the house.  Wednesday, polish shoes.  It goes on...
 
     I think I have become addicted to fake gold.   I may need an intervention.  It lets me buy healing diadems and armor for my 8 bit avatar.  When I'm good for a while, the game drops eggs and hatching potions so I can collect all 90 pets.
      Now I have challenged myself to a video and blog post a week, taking orders and sewing zafus (meditation cushions), cleaning the house top to bottom.  It is great!



      Though I posted on willpower back in 2012, I never realized how much the boring mundane life tasks used up my energy.  With more willpower in my back pocket, life is really looking up.  I think you should give it a try.  If you have any questions or want to share your success, please leave a comment below.  Not only do comments make my whole day, but if you put it as a task in Habit RPG, you can get gold for it!




No comments:

Post a Comment