Pages

Friday, July 28, 2017

Enneagram Overview and Type One


from here
   Have you ever looked at someone and thought 'why are they doing that?'
      I think that is the basic state of existence since the only head we can get into is our own. When I am trying to figure out people, or, better yet, the client in front of me, I turn to the enneagram. It is a tool for understanding how we come to the crazy decisions we all make. The enneagram describes internal energies expressed through outward actions. Think of a habit you just can't break, or the thing that you do that everyone around you asks you to stop. From my life, it's over helping. The first words in my mind when someone describes a problem are always 'how can I help?' After learning the Enneagram, now I keep offers to help inside (some times).

    I love the Enneagram, though it is alternately praised and vilified. People love this tool that helps them understand themselves and others. Others hate the enneagram because it is not provable. This is when non-dual thinking comes in. Why does either side need to be fully right or fully wrong? Just use it when it works and leave it behind when it doesn't make any sense.
     If today's little taste of the Enneagram intrigues you, for a deeper understanding try Richard Rohr's CD set or book. There are also two websites with both explainations and tests to see which type you are, Eclectic Energies and the Enneagram Institute. All of these resources are excellent, but I prefer Richard Rohr's work because he approaches it from the feeling of the person's energy, rather than the outward actions that you see. Check them all out and see what you like.

Type One- the Reformer

      A type one is the person you want to paint your house. They are on a mission to perfect their corner of the world and are willing to work hard at it. They are rational and idealistic, so they make great reformers. Each action is carefully considered before and agonized over after to justify the consequences. Each day is only as good as the tasks crossed off the list. A One is detail and flaw oriented, that's why you want them to be your painter, carpenter, or pilot. They can make difficult bosses, but only by holding you up to the standard they set for themselves.
     I have a friend who is a One. She's a lovely person who is great to hang out with, but each time we got together she'd mention this work colleague who was driving her crazy. The colleague was doing foolish things at work and he was sure to be fired soon. So my friend kept trying to help, over and over. She got so frustrated at her fellow worker because they'd have long meetings mapping out what to do, but the colleague never changed what he did. Ever. This went on for several years before the man was fired.
     By this time I was frustrated as well. If I could see so clearly that nothing would change, how could she miss it? When we talked about it, she'd say "I know it's hopeless, but I just can't stop myself." That's the Enneagram for you. We can use it to inform our responses (like me keeping offers to help to myself), but that knowledge does not change who you are.
     It does help us treat others more compassionately. Knowing that this is just who my friend is and that the same qualities that make her try to reform her work colleague are the qualities that I love and respect in her helps me put her constant worries into perspective. She has to put up with me, how can I do less for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment