Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Singing the Perfectionist Blues: Lessons in Humility and Good Enough


                There it sits.  Staring at me. The world’s ugliest quilt.  My friends prized race t-shirts and childhood clothes turned into garbage.  Poorly cut and sewn, with added accents of day-glo turquoise and orange.  And I said I would fix it!

                After two months of planning, deconstruction and re-cutting, I began to rebuild.  And discover more problems.  No amount of interfacing makes polyester double-knit easy to sew.  No amount of prayer can put fabric back on the poorly cut t-shirts.  No amount of rearranging is going to change the color palette.  So what is a perfectionist to do?
                Get Back to Basics- Return to the original goal.  The quilt’s owner wants something warm to snuggle under with good memories, not an award winner.  I need to see the fabrics through her eyes and love them to life.
                Accept Good Enough- These fabrics will always be 79’s vintage, often laundered.  I’m not going to get the perfect corners.  Seams will not meet, no matter how well pinned.  And this is perfect.  I have never loved a perfect house, it feels too cold.  This will be a warm, comforting quilt.
                Breathe- When it doesn’t look right, I resolve to breathe.  Nothing that happens here is disastrous.  I can rip apart and re-sew, or grow to love what it looks like.
                Each Saturday I come to the machine, just like coming to the mat in yoga.  I bring the perfectionist mind that I have honed for so many years.  I come to be humbled and to learn that “good enough” often is truly good enough.
Here they are, the squares waiting to teach me more....

No comments:

Post a Comment