Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

How Did I Become a Liberal?

   As the election approaches there is more political news than I care to follow.  Each candidate from dog catcher to president is saying what they think most of us want to hear.  There is something lovely that comes from all this strife, however.  Each bit of news and each commercial opens an opportunity to look inside, to notice what we really think about issues and how we arrive at these conclusions.
    I have arrived at a stunning conclusion.  I have discovered that, at heart, I am a liberal.  Not a Democrat. Not a Republican.  I find value in both parties.  I find problems in both parties. The greatest value I have found however, resides inside.
  What makes this such a shock is that all of my life I have been a closet (or not so closet) conservative.  I'm not really talking politics, more of a life philosophy.   Though it constantly surprises friends, I have a really hard time changing.  My mind says "Yes! Go out there and learn something new.  Be different." but my inner most heart says "Change in scary.  Even if this is bad, it is the bad I know..."
  This is the year I have dedicated to the affirmation, "I am willing to change."  It takes conservativism and throws it out the window. Aak!  There are times that I wonder if it is such a good idea, but I found a very interesting article that expresses my inner motivations in a way that I have no words for.   Though he is talking about politics, the feelings expressed are why I feel change in all aspects of our lives is so vital.
The pessimist-conservative can stand athwart history and yell stop, confident that change will only make things worse.  Liberals, however, have to wrestle with the- yes, sometimes naive- desire to make things better.  We see consumerism and call for ad-free public televieion programming. We see environmental depredation and call for carbon taxes... Our answers may sometimes be wrong, but they express a faith... in man's ability to improve his lot.- excerpted from "Old Glory" by Nick Baumann in Commonweal Magazine
    In this season of great change, I hope you find your  inner liberal, your belief that the world can become a better place.  This place of optimism allows for healing and growth.  Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment