![]() |
| the arrangement with the "pretty" flowers |
"The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts." -AristotleWe are here to lift one another up. We create more and better possibilities by our associations and collaborations. This message was reinforced over and over today. From the incredible opening song of the choir at church, to an email from my niece to my weekly flowers, over and over and over I was being told that we lift one another up and make one another better.
In the past week, I have been creating a new event, the Evening of Energy Healing. It began, months ago, as a Reiki I class. As time passed, I received many emails and requests for opportunities to practice reiki in a more professional setting. Yes, friends and family are a great beginning, but what do you do with your first client? It was something I had not ever addressed in any class. So the event is coming together well. The location secured, online ordering, interest beginning to build, but at 4:30 this morning I was wide awake wondering if I had missed something.
The question was answered over and over as the day progressed. When we left home for church it was snowing vigorously. I love the snow, but our neighborhood has steep hills on both entrances. The drive was fine, but as we prepared in the back of church, it looked like the snow was increasing. Our first song was "Gather Us Together," which I learned for the first time at Thursday night choir practice. The descant was interesting and there were a few parts I was uncertain about. Sitting in the congregation was beginning to look appealing.
The song was amazing. Each part worked together and made the whole better. The last refrain moved me to tears as I sang. The whole was truly greater than the sum of it's parts.After mass was finished, we did our usual grocery run (just us and 10,000 of our closest friends). To lighten up the overcast March day, I picked up some flowers. At the time I didn't realize how many of the buds had not yet opened. The first picture is the arrangement with the "pretty" flowers. But, after I finished there were so many buds left. I took all of them and stuck them in a jelly jar. A bit of a disappointment at first. When placed with beautiful objects, it becomes beautiful as well.
It doesn't matter that the Waterford pitcher holds garlic or the milk glass holds the blade protector for the vegetable peeler or the flowers will never open, together they are beautiful and make people happy just to see them.
My last life lesson came from my niece. She emailed me a clip from The Colbert Report (a late night comedy political show). It featured Lil Buck ("jook" (rhymes with book) dancer) performing with a live violinist. The clip was interesting, but it did not move me. At the bottom of the article was this YouTube video:
You'll notice at the end of the performance, Yo Yo Ma does not bow to the audience, he goes immediately to Lil Buck to shake his hand. Each man knows he was part of something magical, both in sync with the other and creating his own beautiful work of art.
I look forward to March 16th (the Evening of Energy Healing) now with great pleasure. Though the vendors have changed several times, I know the ones who show up will be the right ones. The practitioners will lift one another up, and the clients will have a great time. If you are interested stop by Bolero's Saturday between 6-8 or go to nkyreiki.com for more details.


No comments:
Post a Comment