
Spend any time with me and you are bound to hear the phrase, "I am reading the most interesting book ..." followed by how the particular book can shed light on whatever it is we are talking about. The discussion generally devolves into a search for pen and a scrap of paper to jot the title and author. This is invariably lost in the depths of a pocket or purse. So here it is, in no particular order, a list of the books, videos and articles that are influencing me this week...

God: A Story of Revelation
Have you ever wondered what it was like to meet a saint? To talk with someone who interacted with God on a daily basis? Deepak Chopra has. Each chapter is devoted to a great spiritual leader, from Job to Julian of Norwich to Rabindranath Tagore. He reveals the story behind the story for each of these great leaders. It has introduced me to several great thinkers that I only knew in passing and also reveals the underlying structure in our story of divine revelation as seen by Chopra.
The Maslow Business Reader
Maslow was standard fare in the leadership courses I took at the Naval Academy, but somehow I just applied his pyramid to those I lead, not myself. This book has really helped me to see where in my life my needs are fulfilled, and why I am unhappy with some of the things that I have that everyone wants (hint: look to the base of the pyramid)
This TED talk from Nicholas Christakis describes how social networks (the ones in the flesh and blood world, not Facebook) can help detect epidemics earlier than ever. It made me wonder why I ever wanted to be popular because the people with the strongest social networks (which I think probably describes me) are most likely to catch the flu earliest. As I am working through my third cold of the year, I do begin to wonder...

No comments:
Post a Comment