Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

In No Particular Order...

 
    This week my focus has been on organization and personal growth.  Both of my boys are off to college and that set off a whole array of changes.  I never realized how I used their schedules to orient my life until I started showing up late for everything (aak!).  I needed to impose some structure to make all this freedom meaningful.
 
    I started poking around the internet, looking for a few suggestions.  My first stop was Lifehacker.  It is a great website.  They collect 'tips and downloads for getting things done.'  The day I looked Bullet Journaling was the first tip, who knew?
     The picture is a capture from the YouTube video about how to bullet journal.  It is a very clear technique for capturing events, to dos, ideas and all of the things that make your life run smoothly.  Ryder Carroll, the developer of the bullet journal, has given us the fruit of his personal quest for organization.
   Pros: I love the use of different shapes and signifiers to designate tasks, events, ideas and urgency. 
   Cons: He depends on very small handwriting, the black is a bit boring, and I need more emphasis on goals and future planning.
       This method is close to what I am looking for, but doesn't quite address all of my needs.
    The other system that I really liked was the Women's Success Planner.  It is a very well designed system with goal setting, monthly tasks and weekly focuses.  Each quarter has a separate planner with loads of features.  It is very well made with a woman's challenges in mind.
      The only problem for me is how well organized it is.  Right now I'm not quite sure what my life looks like, but I'm sure I want more flexibility.
     With gratitude to both developers, I created my own system for the time being.  It has the features I like from both, a numbered list of daily tasks, weekly and monthly goals, recycled paper and lots of colored pens.  It has been fun turning the challenge of an empty nest into an opportunity to consciously invent my life.  Here is the current result, can't wait to see what comes next.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment