As I mentioned yesterday, I took a wonderful class in July, Brain Gym 101. One of the things that made a deep impression on me was the emphasis on clarity in language. From the beginning of the class, Carolyn emphasised speaking in positive, clear ideas. One of my favorites is how when a student kept tripping up on trying to find a positive spin and just had to state something in a negative, "I can't..." way, Carolyn would add a "yet" to the end of the sentence ( "I can't keep my desk organized... yet").
Another thing she really pointed out was our use of the word "try." If you are "trying to," you are not doing. (Interesting side note, it shocked me listening to my beloved TED talks after I got home. Here are these accomplished people, speaking to other brilliant minds, but almost all of them use the word "try" to either describe their talk or their work. I guess all of us are uncertain and tentative at times.)
This message about language is so important to me, but also it seemed like one I might forget without teacher there to correct me. I had to figure out how to bring teacher home with me, but in a light hearted way. The picture below is of the wall opposite my favorite chair in my reiki room. I'm thinking I might remember.

No comments:
Post a Comment