Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Life in Your Years

      Last night I had the most amazing realization.  This December 7th, Pearl Harbor Day, my father in law turns 93.  I never really thought about it much, it was just a number, right?
      I am 47, this means that my father in law is almost twice as old as I... So everything that I have done, being born, going to school, serving in the Navy, marriage for 24 years, raising two children who are now off to college, that's only half of his life!  Seriously, who knew?
From National Geographic, May 2013
       I have been doing lots of research into longevity and happiness this past year.  It's not so much that I want to live forever, but I do want to be vigorous and happy.  What I'm looking for is captured in the picture at left.  It is of Rae Kline at age 83.  The caption in the magazine says "'A perpetual motion machine' is how Kline, of Solana Beach, California, describes herself.  An early advocate of yoga in the U.S., she demonstrates knees-to-ears pose.  Her daily exercise includes a mile swim, and hour of biking, and a four mile beach walk."
      That's what we are talking about.
       Okay, so far I still can't do this pose, but I am ready keep trying and embrace the exuberance that I see in her life.  Want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment