In the middle of a particularly dark stretch, I noticed a small, white shape on the side walk. When I bent down, I realized it was a small dong. The poor thing was shivering with cold, not even making a sound. I picked the little guy up and set off for the nearest house with lights on (at this point I realized how few people keep on lights at all). Luckily for all of us (especiallly the dog) this was his house. The owners were so excited, they came out barefoot to scoop hum out of my arms.
As I walked away, I reflected on what makes a life worthwhile. From the inside it is difficult to see the value in our own lives. Surely others can see how wrong we are, how many mistakes we make on a daily basis... If you look on it from the outside, it looks very different. For that dog, on that day, I was a savior. Not a bad way to justify my existence.When we assess our lives, we tend to look for the home runs, the big stuff, and if we can't find it, our lives are not good enough. Life, however, is a team sport. It's not my job to make sure the dog never gets away again, rather, it is to be helpful in a time of need, then step away. To judge a life from the perspective of love, to look for what has gone well, for the kindnesses done, then you can see that you are a gift indeed.

No comments:
Post a Comment