Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

A New Perspective

        Have you ever wondered about the lives you've touched without knowing?  We all live in the hopes of being necessary and important, but so often we feel ineffective and as if we pass through the world without changing anything.  Yesterday a young man, whom I will probably never see again moved through my world and changed me.  It was wonderful.
The illuminated eagle from my journal
      This year has begun with loads of big ups and downs.  Within my small nuclear family, we are doing very well, but it is balanced with troubles in my extended family and among my friends.  Just in the last week I have been to two funerals.  One would think that was a bad thing, but actually it has been transformative.
         There is this song that is sung at almost every funeral, "On Eagle's Wings."  Let's just say, we've begun to make fun of it, even calling it the "You hoo" song (the first line is "You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord.")
      And here it was again, the final song of the funeral.  When the grandson began to sing, I almost sat down in shock.  It was so powerful.  Yes, he had a great voice, but that wasn't it.  He took the song we all dread and wrapped it up in love to make a beautiful gift to his grandma, who loved the song and chose it before she died.  He did a small thing with great love, reminding the entire choir why we sing.  I had forgotten how much I loved the song before I joined the funeral choir.
     A last thought.  This picture is yesterday's sunset.  It reminds me that death can be something beautiful, a chance to remember everything our friend was to each of the people who's lives she passed through.  Moving on towards the future rather than an end.   You will be missed.

1 comment: