When I began to teach yoga I was
thirsty for knowledge. I checked every
book out of the library, went to other local libraries for more, and perused
all of the bookstores. One book sticks
out even after all these years. The
content was not for me, but the pictures remain in my mind to this day. One of the models for the book was a heavy
woman. She was amazing! It was so clear how her body moved. She could do everything.
For years I told students what
matters is how you move what is under the skin.
Your weight does not matter for yoga.
I believed it, but never had to live it.
This year (yes, 2012) I put on a few pounds. All in the belly. Though I hope it’s gone soon, what a gift it
has been for me!
Yesterday’s yoga class was a
revelation. The class focused on being in the present in
every pose. Each pose was held for a
long time with attention to the small details.
In pigeon pose forward bend this was expressed in square hips and
internal alignment. As I performed the
pose, yes, my belly was touching my thigh the whole time, but all the internal
parts were in the right place. Low belly
lifted, though no one could see it. What
a great moment of validation.
Of course I hope to regain my
former figure (and quickly mind you!). Not
sure I believe that everything happens for a reason, but I do know that there
is something to be learned from each situation we encounter. I am grateful for the opportunity to
experience from the inside what I have always taught.
No comments:
Post a Comment