Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

More and More Aware

    Sorry about the long hiatus, life has been moving at a very quick pace and I couldn't seem to settle down to write.  I have 8 draft posts that just wouldn't come together because I was too busy thinking about other things.  Had a lot of those things resolve last night and I'm ba-ack.  Can't tell you how nice it is to be in my right mind. So, on to business, boy do I have a strange yoga thought for you today.
The Thinker
     This Saturday my younger son and I were out on college visits.  The University of Louisville held an open house called Accolade and we would visit Bellarmine later in the day.  Our thoughts were, "We should go. It is the right thing to do. (sigh)"  We got up early, early, early Saturday morning and made our way southwest.  From the tentative schedule, it looked like a day full of lectures (heavy sigh). Well, it was full of lectures, but it was so worth it!
     I can hear you thinking, where is the yoga in this? In an alignment based yoga class like mine, the teacher is always saying things like, "what change does this make in your body?" and "Notice the flow of energy in your body."  I have found that after 8 years of teaching and many more of practice, I notice things all the time  (in fact, when I go to the doctors, they all say I'm difficult to work with because I notice so much.)
with halo
    Back to noticing, when we drove on the U of L campus, we both got a good feeling, but did not mention it (it seemed like a fluke and I really did not want to influence Daniel's college decision).  As the day progressed, there were many things to love; from the down to earth speakers to the size of the campus to the art museum I have enjoyed for years.  The picture at right is a copy of Rodin's The Thinker.  I'm not sure if I like the version with the sun peaking through or when I gave the thinker a halo (the picture on the left).
     It was that kind of day.  Everything went well.  Like finding the correct light when we happened to be by the statue.  We also saw one of the albino squirrels.  We had not even heard of them before, but after we got home friends told us that some years they give away t-shirts to anyone who gets a picture.  I'm guessing that was too unpredictable, because this year you got a prize if you found one of the (not too) hidden Cardinals.
the albino squirrel
     With all of these charming things happening, it seemed like the energy was just right.  We were in all the right places at the right times.  One of the things that impressed us the most was the philosophy at the Speed School of Engineering at U of L.  At my elder son's UK orientation, we were told that "most students need 5 years to complete the program."  At the Speed School, all students co-op, there is a class that teaches them how to interview.  Students are expected to finish in 4 years and, if they choose, the 5th year is for your masters.  It is the only school in the country with this accredited program.  This attitude is such a good fit for my younger son.
     Who would have thought how clearly our inner awareness would be reflected in our experience? We got the feeling while driving into a parking garage.Who knew?
the happy guy with "hidden" cardinal

No comments:

Post a Comment