In order to do this new experience justice, I've really had to examine the experience with a more scientific approach. It didn't feel good or bad, it was completely different. Here are a few of my observations:
- It is hot! Yes, no surprise given the name, but walking in from the cool autumn air was a welcome shock. I think the studio was about 95 degrees. I found the heat to be wonderful in unlimbering my very tight shoulders and hips. (In the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit that I have always had a penchant for heat. I never knew why, but I always seem to be out working in the yard on some of the hottest days in the summer.)
- It is different.- And thats not such a bad thing. Not only was the flow very different, along with the asana (poses) so was the approach to yoga overall. I tend to practice alignment based yoga (like anusara and Iyengar) and have recently been experimenting in my home practice with vinyasa (flow) that activates different muscles to culminate in more open poses. This was from a completely different thought process, the heat warms you up to enable poses with less preparation. For example:
- Each of the poses had long holds even at the beginning of class. Usually in any class I have this feeling of "I'm not going to make it," particularly as my shoulders and arms warm up. Those first downward dogs can be torturous. With all of the heat my muscles were ready to go straight to work.
- The poses were different from what I usually work. It was great. We did crow, standing splits, horse, and this very funny, fun pose I have no name for (think of moving forward to lunge, but rather than putting your foot on the floor, place your knee on the outside of your elbow and upper arm like an arm balance- eka pada something or another).
- There is not the loads of description that I am used to. The teacher was great, but it was a much more internal practice with holds long enough to make adjustments, rather than "spiral energy from the wings of your kidneys up your pinkey finger."
- Energy really runs strong.- In a class this warm with this many difficult poses, the energy is really moving in your body. Given my twin passions of reiki and yoga, I am very aware of my body and the energy inside it. After this class, I felt a little like I had stuck my finger in an electric socket (in a good way). Unfortunately, it meant that I didn't sleep well for a few days. So I played around with a few solutions. The most successful were a few poses that supported the forehead.
![]() |
| http://heartofthebearyoga.com/2011/08/26/the-ubiquitous-iyengar-yoga-block/ |
This picture shows a full downward dog with a block. At home, I have found that I ground more deeply by doing the pose onto my kitchen counter with my head supported by the counter. Last summer we put in granite counters and I love them for more than just cooking. I did a little research and here is a bit of an explanation...
Properties: The elemental powers of water and earth, ocean tumbled granite is a unique stone combining the elements of the sea with the deep rooted foundations of the earth! These stones are often full of shiny, light reflecting druses. This stone is a great balancer of water and earth (emotions and practicality). Earth helps water to keep its deep emotions in check. This incredible stone works on both the Base/Root and Sacral/Spleen Chakra as it grounds unstable or unsure emotions. Therefore, granite is wonderful for allowing for increased protection and abundance. This stone works well on skepticism. It allows for diplomacy, discretion, cooperativeness and negativity. Granite is a wonderful relationship balancer. Ocean tumbled granite in particular helps us to see and understand the big picture. So it shows us to look past the little puddles in our lives and focus on an ocean of opportunity and advancement!-
http://www.spiritjourneys.com/mineral-properties3.php#15
Well, I don't know about all of that, but it sure is a great way to cool down crazy energy (and while we are at it I can use some more abundance!)
So, I can highly recommend our local hot yoga class with a few reservations. I truly loved it, but hydrate before you go and take care of your body after. Bring warm clothes to wear out of the studio to cool down slowly and do a few grounding asanas before you try to sleep.


No comments:
Post a Comment