Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

The Universe Speaks

   As I posted on Wednesday, two weeks ago one of my fundamental beliefs was really challenged. I believe that anything can be healed. After all, to be in the healing business, you need to believe that healing is possible.  How could I square the words of these two doctors (who told me I'm basically in a holding action with my body) with my healing business?  All I can say is, we ask, God speaks (or the Universe or whatever term works for you for a Higher Power).  This week I asked and He delivered!
     On Thursday I went to mass then had a singing lesson.  There I am, running on no sleep, tired and cranky but also present and accounted for.  In my experience, this is the best time to hear because all of your defenses are down.  Our first reading was from Ecclesiastes 1: 2-11.  This selection begins with "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.  What profit has man from all that he toils at under the sun?"  For the first time ever I understood.  The author is not saying that labor is not worthwhile, rather that all things pass away.  So, I have labored fruitlessly my whole life to heal my eyes, but the knowledge that I gathered gave my son back his perfect vision. (As I read this, it doesn't make much sense, but the truth I glimpsed in mass is hard to put into words).
     Also, all of this physical stuff is just the shell.  I want to take good care of my body, not as the end itself, but rather so that I can continue to help others and take care of my family.  There are also times to accept help, and I need help from my eye doctor and chiropractor and yoga teacher and husband and sons and.... (you get the idea).  Darn it.  I can't tell you how many times I have told others that their infirmities give others an opportunity to serve.  Guess the advice has come home to roost.
    At the singing lesson, God struck again.  These lessons are very hard for me.  Singing very loud, very high is like running around naked, every flaw shows (sorry for the picture that just conjured up...).  I so did not want to show up.  We warmed up, sang a few songs, worked on ways to sing differently.  Somehow, right in the middle, we got to talking.  I told my teacher how devastating the news had been.  We talked back and forth for a while and I could tell that she was searching for inspiration.  At the same time I was praying for God to speak to me through her because my mind was so crazy I couldn't be quiet and listen.
     All of the sudden, her face clears and she asks me "Does this close any doors?"  You know what, it doesn't.  Just because, barring a miracle, my eyes won't be perfect in this lifetime does not negate all of the learning and practice that has gone into trying to heal them.  One of the techniques I learned gave my son perfect vision.  All of the pain in my neck and back had created a great yoga practice and lots of techniques, to help both clients and friends.  Looks like these actually opened doors.    We always get help just sometimes it is hard to recognize.

No comments:

Post a Comment