In yoga, poses performed while standing are called (gasp!) standing poses. Let's just say that today I had a falling down practice rather than a standing practice. I was so frustrated that I took a break from my practice to run over to the table to scribble down some thoughts on what true courage and perseverance is (because, by God, didn't I need to pat myself on the back for continuing?).
Is it more courageous to step off the diving board or get up every morning when you are frustrated with your life? What about charging onto the battlefield or patching up wounded, dying soldiers day after day? Is this way too deep for your average yoga practice? I find that my home practice brings up the deepest thoughts.
Now, I know we are talking about different types courage (or maybe perseverance). But lets just say, I was falling over constantly and calm and peaceful were the last things on my mind. I kept up my practice, falling over and getting back up, and all of the sudden there was a sharp warmth in my shoulder and it felt like something warm was flowing in my arm. At the time, I was wondering if this was a good thing or had I injured it?
The end result is remarkable. I regained about 15 degrees in the range of motion in my left shoulder. There is no pain, even hours later. This would not have happened if I stopped the first (or fifteenth) time I fell over. It would not have happened if I got frustrated with the pace of my progress and quit my home practice.
I have been teaching for nine years and practicing for fifteen. The major breakthroughs can be counted on my two thumbs, but each time I come to the mat, I maintain my present level and learn a little something new. I am grateful for the little things, but it was wonderful to spend a little time on the mountaintop.
No comments:
Post a Comment