Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Power of Rest

        You know how in December I extolled practice in Practice Makes Perfect?  Well, just to prove that I love both sides of any argument, here is the benefit of rest.  In January and most of February I have caught every little thing that is going around.  Let's just say I have experienced enforced rest first hand.
       One thing I have noticed over the years is that if I take a week off the more intense class that I take with my mom each Friday, the next week I come back stronger and more flexible.  A month off does not have the same effect (too bad!). In all my studies, I have never seen or heard anyone mention it.  I was beginning to wonder if it was all in my mind. Finally I have an explanation and a reason to sit around enjoying Christmas (or whatever illness crops up).

     Pavel Tsatsouline has lit my inner darkness with his book,
Relax into Stretch : Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension.  Let's just start off with, this book is hilarious.  He has this "just go for it" attitude and keeps calling the reader comrade.  For a Navy woman from the Cold War, this is just off kilter enough to really please.
     But I digress, we were talking about the power of a few days off.  He says "motor-learning experts know that a skill tends to improve after a layoff, the so-called reminiscence effect.  Multiple repetitions of a drill, a rock climbing technique, a reverse puch, a split, or a deadlift, forms what Russians cal the dynamic stereotype, or a 'how-to manual' of this movement in the athlete's nervous system.  You learn to perform exactly as practiced- the form, the force, the range of motion, etc.... If you lay off stretching, your brain gets a chance to forget your limit.  This is the essence of ther reminiscence effect.  Once your own personal record has been erased, you are ready to train for a new one."
      I was completely surprised last week when I returned to vigourous practice.  Even though I had a hard time breathing, my not only was I stronger, but also each movement was deeper.  It was great.  I'm just wondering how long I have to lay off to forget how tight my hamstrings are... Happy stretching. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment