This week the 9 and ups are having a car wash and bake sale at the Lynn Street Y. My car was one of the first to be washed (or, perhaps better said, go under the knife). Though the kids were supervised, the camp counselors let them learn through doing while washing to my beloved car, Sophia (yes, my car is named after wisdom! She's a smart lady with cameras to tell me if I'm backing into someone). It was almost a physical pain when one of the kids bounced a bucket off her hood. But it was so worth it. These were kids who were gaining up time in the pool and gym to wash cars so they could earn money for field trips. The mom in me so approves!
I enjoyed spending time with the campers, talking about hair cuts and field trips. All that lovely young energy was wonderful. Again and again, I find community and it's importance. Hopefully I'll find no dent in the hood, but if it's there, that's a small price to pay.

No comments:
Post a Comment