Noun: A person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.As a regular churchgoer and a yoga teacher in a church basement, I have often felt like an apologist. Not that I am apologizing for yoga, rather that I am explaining it, making it more approachable. I have often felt rather less than successful. So far, not one person who has thought yoga might be a religion in disguise has ever come to a single class.
Synonyms: defender
Today I was rereading Eat Right for Your Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo and I realized, he is a great apologist for yoga. Here it is:
...some patients have told me that they are concerned that adopting yoga practices may conflict with their religious beliefs. They fear that the practice of yoga implies that they have adopted Eastern mysticism. I respond, "If you eat Italian food, does that make you Italian?" Meditation and yoga are what you make of them. Visualize and meditate on those subjexts that are relevant to you. The postures are neutral; they are just timeless and proven movements."Such a calm, rational, and coherent explanation. Hope I remember it next time I am asked. If not, I'm hiring his ghost writer to follow me around.... Be Blessed (and happy!)
No comments:
Post a Comment