Sometimes when I am being particularly thick-headed, God needs to hit me on the back of the head with the cosmic baseball bat to get some sense in. Yesterday was one of those days. I have spent the summer gathering ideas, making handouts and recording videos about different techniques to handle stress. One would think that I am the expert. Turns out I had a lesson to learn (or really, relearn for the millionth time!)
It was time to take our oldest son back to college. It was time and more than time. We all thought we were ready; him for his freedom, us for ours. Somewhere deep in my heart I was so not ready. In my last post, I talked about creating affirmations from negative feelings and his departure was one of my examples. But I needed so much more than just affirmations. I used every technique I am teaching on Saturday over and over and over.
I went from breathing techniques to affirmations to heart math to Jin Shin Jyutsu to acupressure and then started all over again. If you asked me none of it was working. The day was horrible, I felt miserable and ended the day crying myself to sleep. Pretty pathetic.
Now comes the interesting part, the lesson in the sob story... This morning I woke up feeling great. All that energy work that felt like pouring water onto sand (loads of work, but no lasting effect) actually worked. My closest analogy is the dirty ring in a teenage boy's shower (are we beginning to see why I wanted him back in his apartment?)
Each day, you go into the shower, clean yourself and leave. Ideally all the soap and dirt go down the drain, but in real life, there is always the ring around the tub. Think about the energy work like a microfiber towel. If you clean up, even just a little bit, each time you go into the shower, the ring does not build up. You still have the soap and dirt, but they don't stay and make you miserable.
Energy work while you experience pain is just like that. It is not surgery, cutting out the pain, or anesthetic, that numbs it. Rather the energy helps to experience pain without leaving emotional scars. Yes, I would like to have him around. I love him, but I'm eager to let him fly again.
The funny thing about this experience is the timing. I am going to be a much better teacher on Saturday because I really practiced yesterday. Maybe that cosmic baseball bat was a gift after all.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete