Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Defying the Law of Gravity

       Today I went to the funeral of a long time friend.  He and his wife made my life happier.  I had first met them when they joined our parish.  We hosted one of the parish welcome dinners.  It was such a good night, I even remember everything that I prepared.  We were not long returned from Italy, so it was three kinds of pasta, two meat dishes and a vast variety of contorni and deserts.  We ate and drank and laughed ourselves silly.
       As a member of the funeral choir,  I have been to many, many funerals.  This had the best readings, the most thoughtful songs, the most meaningful homily.  The reading from Revelations really stuck with me.  "There will be no more death, or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Rev 21: 4)  As the old order passes away it is time to question which things to keep and which to cast aside.  As I talked about on Tuesday, my current affirmation is "I am willing to change."  Being willing to change is releasing the attachments of the old order; body image, how to measure success, how to live.

       This picture from icanhasacheesburger.com, really captures the feeling of anything goes.   Basement cat (the name for any black cat) has made an amazing choice.  He defies gravity.  I'm not sure what my next choice will be, but I hope it is as bold as his.

No comments:

Post a Comment