Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Reflections on Creating

               Here it is!  My website nkyreiki.com has launched.  It is so much like giving birth to a child (though thankfully the gestation was much shorter).  Just like adding that first child to a family, you create the structure to support it (high chair, car seat, bassinet, tiny dishes and cups), decorate the nursery, then go to the hospital to give birth.  The last few weeks I have been nesting, like right before the baby is born (I'll never forget my sister recovering the couch when she was 9 months pregnant, it was a sight).
                Like a new mother, I have not slept for the past two weeks.  I kept waking up at 3 am with visions of website design or ideas for how to fix the things that were bugging me.  This gave me quite a headache when I went to the airport to pick up my mom yesterday.  She was returning from a mission trip to Vietnam.
                At the Naval Academy I studied the Vietnam war extensively.   We had many instructors who had served and I was fascinated with the region.  Maybe I wasn't sleeping also because I was worried about her.  I arrived at the airport when the flight was scheduled to land, so I had time to wait while the bags were unloaded from the plane.
              The temperature was 102 degrees. In the shade.  What's a poor girl with a headache to do?  Lie down of course.  I have learned from Joy the perfect corpse pose or savasana.  I parked in the shade, rolled down all the windows in the car and laid down in the grass.  It was brown and crunchy already, but the world was perfect.  When I got the call to leave the cell phone lot 15 minutes later, my headache was gone.  Completely.
              Mom brought home a picture that expresses the wonderful rooted, grounded feeling we all search for.  This is a tree growing in a Buddhist temple in Vietnam.  Once can see the permanence.  In Poser: My Life in Twenty-three Yoga Poses, Claire Dederer spends a chapter on corpse pose.  She asks "What if the opposite of good wasn't bad? What if the opposite of good was real?"  In my quest for the good (if not perfect) website to express my business, I had let go of the real.  Really there are usually dishes in my sink; really there are usually things on my to do list; really I like it that way.
              For a while I kept a perfect house, it was not comfortable or welcoming. I'm hoping my website is both comfortable and welcoming, please pardon the dirty dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment