Though I began on a whim, I have discovered that one idea is a great way to organize a week. One idea gives both a filter and a reflective surface. When I get overwhelmed (or honestly, underwhelmed) by life, an organizing idea can filter out the less important things (hey you, stop obsessing over the spots on the walls when you haven't meditated for the day).
It also works like a mirror, helping me reflect upon life's happenings (so... why are the spots on the walls so important, are you avoiding something, or do you feel like the house's ageing is reflecting your ageing, or, are they just spots?)
Here is my organizing idea for the week. It comes from the book The Wit and Wisdom of Good Pope John by Henri Fesquet. Sorry there is no link to amazon to purchase the book. It was published in 1965 and the cheapest price I could find is $24. Get it by inter-library loan instead. From the chapter "Favorite Maxims"
"Gutta cavat lapidem" (Drops of water hollow out a stone)In other words, persistence wins out. When I wrote my first post about the pace of progress, it was in response to clients and friends who feel that they have done so much energy work and are still incomplete. At the time I was pretty sure that my first book would be a series of reflections on progress because I actually wrote 8 options using different metaphors describing the pace of progress. Maybe I need to write another using the drops of water or more scientifically speaking, erosion.
Nature is full of examples of erosion. Sky Bridge at Red River Gorge in Kentucky is one of my favorites.
This bridge is accessible, both physically and fiscally. The entire loop is about a quarter of a mile, the top of the arch is paved for wheelchairs, and best of all it is completely free!
Sky Bridge reminds us that a simple drop of water, a simple prayer each day, a little bit of reiki focused on one problem, over time creates a miracle.
No comments:
Post a Comment