I have been having computer problems, including but not limited to thunderstorms, power outages, problem new computer programs, etc, etc, etc. Though I am grateful for the rain that came with the storms, but have not yet recovered the lost files. So rather than some deep thoughts about reiki from the last two days, I'd love to share our trip to Chicago in pictures.
Driving to Chicago is all about hope in the future. Each time I drive up, the wind farm pictured above is bigger. I love the idea that people are willing to invest (big time) in renewable energy. We have a long way to go to perfect solar, wind and water power, but it will never happen if people were not willing to build this.
Just walking around Chicago it is easy to see how important architecture and public art is. This time was my first visit to Millenium Park and it reinforced that idea. From blocks away I began to hear a familiar noise. It did not fit with the city so it was hard to figure out. As I searched my memory, I got a picture of our youngest son playing soccer by a small wetland. Ah- that is the mating call of a red winged blackbird. In the midst of the city, here was a bit of wilderness.
Since it was in this beautiful city, the wilderness had roots in a great building, the old Stock Exchange.
Though I chased the bunnies and black birds, alas there are no pictures. We walked the park and city until our legs were about to fall off. When we were about to perish (yes, it is a bit dramatic), we came upon Pizzaria Uno. Wouldn't it be fun to go to the original? The waiting line was more than an hour and a half. Here is where we went instead. It is just down the block.
Seriously, who knew?!? We cracked jokes about not being good enough and people making money off of others great ideas to no end. Turns out, the same guy opened Pizzaria Due (Due= 2 in Italian), after he could not seat all of the people who wanted to eat at Uno's. Same experience, no wait.
This is the ceiling at the Macy's in downtown Chicago. The Macy's! When are they going to do this at the Florence Mall. "The grandiose ceiling, which was installed in 1907, contains over 1.6 million pieces and is the largest unbroken example of Tiffany Favrile glass in the world." Straight from the Chicago Macy's website.
One last proof that I am a country bumpkin. Here is a picture of the very first Lamborghini I have ever seen.
Do you remember we started this week with a quote? "Gutta cavat lapidem" (Drops of water hollow out a stone). Having it hanging on the wall as I play computer catch up has been a life saver. Not only does it remind me that each step is progress, but also the problem can be beautiful as well. My first service call began with Julie (the lady at the other end of the line) saying "How can I make this call good for you today?" Of course, I told her to smile at me and it just got better from there. We laughed, chatted and fixed my problems. The life is in the journey, not the destination.






No comments:
Post a Comment